Monday, October 7, 2013

FALL - My favorite season

I LOVE fall!  I love the fresh crisp air.  I love watching the leaves change color to provide a colorful landscape all around.  I love the smell of fall candles.  I love pulling out my leggings and sweaters for the first time since spring.  And I love the additional baking options there are with fall produce.

Aside from making my typical apple crisp and zucchini bread, this fall brought a whole new experiment as my sister and I have attempted the art of canning.  After a couple of sister dates and trips to the farmer's market, we have successfully mastered the art of canning.  Since neither of us have the space to have our own gardens, the farmer's market is the way to go, especially this time of year when all of the produce is at its peak.  Neither of us have ever attempted to can before, we have never watched anyone can before, and we didn't have any of the supplies we needed, but none of that stopped us from trying!  After watching a few youtube videos and borrowing some canning supplies from our aunt and grandma, we began the experiment.

Our first canning attempt was salsa.  We made 2 dozen cans (3 batches) of salsa and I'd have to say, it turned out pretty darn good!  We tweaked the recipe here and there so one of the batches is a little spicier than the others.  My husband is pretty darn excited to enjoy the salsa all winter long (or as long as it will last)!  Here is a picture of our finished product:

Our second canning attempt was dill pickles.  We made about a dozen and a half cans and this process went much quicker since there was less to chop up.  We still aren't sure about the taste, since they have to sit 10 days before trying them, but they look good so far!  Here is a picture of the finished product:


We are debating whether we are going to try canning any more salsa or pickles, or try something like applesauce.  We'll see if we are able to make the time in the next couple of weekends.

If I've learned one thing about our canning experience, it's that it's a lot more fun to attempt experiments like this with someone else.  I can't imagine trying to do all of what we did by myself...I would've spent the entire weekend in the kitchen!  I'm grateful for the sister bonding we had and the finished product that we'll get to enjoy all winter long.  

What's your favorite thing about fall?  Do you have any "must-have" canning recipes?

1 comment:

  1. I love fall too!! And I loved your salsa! :) So great that you and your sister took on the task of canning.

    ReplyDelete